RnR DC Half Marathon Training Week 2

by - Monday, January 09, 2017

Well if week one of training was easy breezy because I was on vacation, week two of training was manageable because I suddenly realized what it was like to have free time again.

Went on a nice early morning run around campus with my tiger friends today.

Juggling just work and training and the occasional social event is so much easier than juggling work, training, social events plus class, homework and group projects. I honestly don't think I realized just how much time school used to suck up until this first week back at work. I basically feel like I can breath again, and let me tell you, that's a really nice feeling.

So anyway, on to week two of training!

Monday: 3.5 miles, 34:18, 9:48 per mile

This was my first run of the New Year, and I will say, even though I had the day off, I did have to give myself a bit of motivational pep talk to get out the door.

Tuesday: 2 miles, 19:40, 9:49 per mile

This run kind of mystified me. It was my easy recovery run, and the entire time I was running my legs felt really loose, and I felt like I was moving really fast. But then every time I looked at my Garmin, my pace was super slow, so I'm not sure what was going on here.

Wednesday: 3.5 miles, 33:54, 9:41 per mile

I did this run in capris and just a long sleeve shirt, and it was so glorious to not be freezing on my run. If that weather could come back, I'd be really happy.

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Crosstrain, FlyWheel Class, 45 minutes

This class was a good solid kick in the butt. I liked the music. I liked the mix of sprints vs climbs. I liked that it was an excuse to work out indoors on a day when the temperatures were barely touching 20 degrees.

Saturday: 5 miles, 48:43, 9:45 per mile


When I left my house to do this run, it was 11 degrees with the wind chill, snowing and windy. I put on so many layers of clothes, I wasn't sure I'd actually be able to run. I had on two pairs of Under Armour cold gear tights, a UA cold gear top, heavy running jacket and a wind breaker, plus a hat and gloves. The air was so cold my face hurt for most of the first two miles, but I eventually warmed up and ended up yanking my gloves off at one point because my hands were sweating.

Getting out the door was tough on Saturday morning. I had a running buddy and we were having a debate about whether we should do the run Saturday or push it to Sunday to see if the weather conditions improved. I'm very, very glad we did it on Saturday because the windchill Sunday morning was 2 degrees, which would have sucked so much more.

Sunday: Rest.

And that's week two in a nutshell. I am really, really hoping the weather warms up for the rest of week three. I don't think I can handle training in temps like this for much longer.

You May Also Like


  1. Fred and Tina6:38 AM

    Wow, that's dedication! :)