A good excuse for bad boob jokes: A Race for the Cure race report

by - Sunday, October 19, 2008

Let me get to the quick stuff. I saw so many hilarious shirts with boob references on them at the race today. I wish I could remember all of them, but two I remember seeing said.

"Running (or maybe racing?) for Someone's Name That I Don't Remember's hooters."

"Men have a breasted interest."

As you know my big goal for this race was to improve on my stubble time for the 5K challenge. Well I certainly was successful.

This morning I woke up at the ungodly hour of 5:45 a.m. to get ready for the race. I was tired and didn't really want to get out of bed, but I was also really looking forward to the race. So I took one look at my clothes, knee tape, sneakers and watch laid out neatly on the floor and that was about all the extra motivation I needed.

I'm spending the weekend in Maryland again (shocker, I know) and I packed a pair of running shorts along with a short sleeve and long sleeve running top because I knew it had the potential to be chilly.

Chilly would be an understatement. It was 45 degrees when I got to the start. My legs were numb in about 10 minutes of waiting for my friends. I was really wishing I had packed my running tights. I was fine once the race started though. But waiting at the beginning and the end was definitely cold.

I met up with my friends (Sam, Amy, Emily, Laurie, Randyl and Chris) who were all doing the race too. Chris ran the timed race (and kicked butt with a time of 24:something) with me. Sam and Amy ran the untimed race and Emily Laurie and Randyl walked.

I've got to give a HUGE shout out to Sam and Amy for running their very first race and finishing in about 31:08! How awesome is that! They both said they had a really good time too!

As for my time: 28:29.28. (That's by my watch, official time hasn't been posted yet) WHOOO HOOO! Check it out that's more than two minutes faster than my stubble time.

I smashed my previous PR.

I hit mile one around 9:02, but didn't feel like I was overextending myself so I tried to keep a similar pace in mile two. I did well, hitting that one around 18:20ish if I remember correctly.

The course was the exact same as last year so I think it helped that I knew when to speed it up and what was coming next. It's a hilly course with lots and ups and downs, but nothing was really unexpected.

I was hurting by the last couple tenths of the race though. I had a side stitch and I could feel that my breathing was off, but I forced myself to push it hard to the finish line. I didn't want to slack off at the end of the race. I almost couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch afterward.

Needless to say I am completely psyched about my time. I have pictures, but don't have camera connecting cord with me in Maryland. So those and pics from my cousin's wedding are still to come.

I have every intention of spending the rest of my Sunday curled up on the sofa watching football!

Good luck to everyone else who was racing this weekend. Can't wait for your reports.

You May Also Like


  1. AWESOME!!!!! Congratulations, I'm so happy that your "come back race" was a success!!!

  2. Wow! Way to go Jess! You rocked it!

  3. ALRIGHT JESS!!! What a fantastic job!! Way to smash that PR ;D ;D

  4. Great job on your new PR!!

  5. WOW!! That's an awesome time!! Congrats!! I see that your Terps kicked butt in football again too. :-)

  6. Congratulations on a SMASHING success :-) You worked so hard for that, and deserved every bit of it!!!!

  7. Way to go! Congrats on a new PR.

  8. Anonymous3:27 PM

    Doing a little happy dance for you! Nothing's more exciting that setting a new PR! Woo Hoo! :)

  9. WOWZER!!!! You totally rocked it!! Nice job!

  10. AWESOME job and congrats on the new PR!!!

  11. Awesome! Congratulations.. way to go!